Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Spices of Life

Hi guys, Chef Scott Alan for Costa Rica Cooking here in La Fortuna by the Volcano Arenal!  I'm here again on a very “rainforesty” day in the tropics of Costa Rica, which is a fun way of saying it's raining cats and dogs!! Oh well what can a person expect when Costa Rica is where you call home. If that sounds like I'm complaining, I'm not, I wake up grateful every day!

I was reflecting on why I love Costa Rica so much and I have to say that one of the reasons is the close and practically year-round availability of fresh ingredients, both well-known and more rare and exotic fruits and vegetables. The reason I like cooking with fresh ingredients is that you rarely need more than salt and or pepper to add to your cooking. It's amazing really, I used to think being a good cook was having a great spice rack with everything in it. Of course, I'm not saying you have to throw away your spices  (though have you checked them lately, they somehow seem to stick around for years) but I am recommending using fresh everything in your cooking and you won't need your spices, therefore creating room for another cool kitchen utensil or appliance, now how's that for motivation??

My point is these days, in a lot of places, we have more access to fresh spices like garlic, basil, coriander, rosemary and so many more along with produce departments offering everything from around the world in terms of exotic fruits and veggies.  Here in Costa Rica I cook with a lot of fresh fruits, as I love to spice up a dish with flavor rather than spicy-hot. Exotic fruits are a great accompaniment with grilled meats and baked rice dishes, though we tend to think of them for breakfast and lunch only. Check out some of my videos and see how I use the fresh ingredients I'm finding here.   See you in the jungle!!

Pura Vida, Scott
http://www.CostaRicaCooking.com
http://www.StreetDogsCostaRica.com

3 comments:

  1. An inevitable presence of herbs and spices in Indian cuisines are not only offer myriad tasteexperiences to people world widelyand health benefits to the culinary art in Asia, however it has even become the integral addition in the Asian food.
    Turmeric Powder | Spices and herbs |

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your blog, getting hungry:)

    I saw this competition that I think you would be just the right person for! It is about creating the national dish of your country. What would you say that is for ...?? Would be awesome if you could be the representative for your country :) I myself will compete for Jamaica :)

    Here's more info about it:

    http://www.slideshare.net/IngredientMatcher/competition-from-ingredient-matcher-cook-your-national-dish-25773568

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fine method of telling, and enjoyable article to acquire factual statements.
    shell hawkins

    ReplyDelete