Sunday, January 15, 2012

Chicken Bones for the Soul



Pura Vida to everyone out there! Especially everyone who rescues and rehabilitates street dogs. I said to friend when I wanted to start the "food and dog blog" that it's not about dog food, its a food and dog blog,  2 things separately that are constants in my life that I want to talk with people about in order to exchange ideas. Of course I'm addicted to delicious food like everyone else out there, and so food will always permeate the topic at hand. That being said, the blog today IS about dog food!
Actually it’s about chicken bones and should we feed them to the dogs? Is this an urban myth? I always argued to never feed your dog chicken bones, in my restaurant we sell spicy chicken wings and so there are always lots of leftover bones as it's a popular dish. Anyway, my friend Charles, a Costa Rican guy   (and no it's not Carlos) challenged my theory and against better judgment I gave some to the street dogs around the restaurant and they of course loved them and I've been doing it ever since without a single problem!
So is this an urban myth or what ?

You might say there just street dogs and chicken bones are better than no bones, but I'd really like to know if there is any real studies or facts behind this idea that chicken bones are dangerous for dogs. Being that there are a lot of both of these animals here in Costa Rica it would be great to know.  Send me your thoughts and I'll let everyone know what I find out. Until then, Keep on cookin'...

Pura Vida, Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment